Simple things that will always always brighten my day:
- This picture of kangaroos hugging
- A cheap manicure
- Soul music
- Unexpected flowers
- A new book
- A good margarita
- Treat yo self. And all things Amy Poehler is involved in
- Dinnertime with Mr. F
- Making lists of completely unimportant things
This soup is a brightener too – in color and flavor. It’s hearty and almost a little rich, without actually having anything rich in it. Depth is added to the sweetness of the carrots and sweet potatoes by roasting and the addition of earthy cumin and a little spice from Cayenne pepper balance it all out.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-2 inch chunks
- 4 medium carrots, washed well and roughly chopped
- olive oil
- 6 whole cloves of garlic (skins on)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow or brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock/ broth
- salt and pepper
Heat oven to 400 F/205 C.
Chop the bottom off of 6 cloves of garlic, but keep them in their skins.
Arrange the 6 garlic cloves, sweet potatoes and carrots on well oiled baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes and carrots are soft and golden. Remove garlic cloves from their skins.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot. Add chopped onion and a little salt and saute until softened and translucent – about 5 minutes. Add the 2 cloves of chopped garlic and cook for another minute.
Add stock and bring to a boil.
Add roasted carrots, sweet potato and garlic to the stock and bring to a boil again. Remove from heat and then carefully blend with a stick blender or in batches in a blender, until smooth.
Serve warm with fresh ground pepper and a sprinkle of toasted pumpkin seeds.