Some things just need to be done. Sometimes they need to be done because that’s just how life goes. Tough luck. Sometimes, it’s tradition. And sometimes it’s because it’s exactly what you want at that particular moment.
Like doing laundry.
Like taking out the garbage.
Like going to the dentist.
Like chocolate on Easter.
Like popcorn at the movies.
Like eating a well-balanced breakfast.
Like having a big glass of wine (or 3) with a good friend.
Like savagely tearing off and eating the end of the baguette as soon as you leave the bakery.
Like watching episode upon episode of The Bachelor even though you fear it might be negatively influencing your views on your own gender.
Like pear and bacon. Bacon and pear. And avocado. And buttermilk. It has to be done. Let’s do it!
Pear Avocado and Bacon Chard Salad
– 3 cups Swiss chard, rainbow chard, spinach or kale
– 1 pear, sliced into thin wedges
– 1/2 an avocado, sliced into this wedges
– 2-3 tablespoons of sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
– 1 large rasher of bacon or two small (American bacon) rashers, cut into small pieces
Mustard Buttermilk Dressing
– 6 tablespoons buttermilk
– 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
– 1/2 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
– 1 clove garlic, minced or grated on a Microplane grater
– sea salt
– ground pepper
To make dressing:
Combine all ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake well. Add more salt and pepper as desired.
To assemble salad:
Place the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and gently toss with 2 or 3 tablespoons of dressing. Set aside.
Heat a pan over a medium high heat. Add bacon pieces and cook until browned and crispy. Place on a paper towel and blot off excess oil. Scatter over salad. Drizzle on additional dressing, if desired.
Serve with lazy girl roasted chicken legs (recipe coming soon) or crusty bread.