In the past 7 days I:
- Ate a silly amount of movie theater popcorn.
- Ditto to mini Cadbury eggs. (Not the classic Cream Eggs, the milk chocolate ones with the crispy pastel-colored shell. Love.)
- Wore workout clothes to run errands even though I wasn’t on the way to, nor coming back from working out. Sneakers paired with sweatpants make you look like a go-getter. Sweatpants with flip-flops make you look like a lazy college student. Fact.
- Watched The Bachelor, Bring It On and Glee. (Not all on the same day. There would be no excuse for that.)
…I should also tell you that while I was watching that episode of Glee I was hula hooping pretty much the entire time. I don’t even like musicals. And I pretend hula hooping is exercise. I don’t know…
I am not particularly proud of these things, but I just felt like I should be completely… honest. About life.
Have I done anything redeeming this week?
- I went to a Picasso exhibit (Culcha!)
- We tried a new restaurant in Bondi.
- I saw The Artist. (Silent movie! More culcha!)
- I toasted a lot of coconut flakes and found various uses for them.
I also made this salad.
A good warm salad some how makes me feel better about my other, slightly shameful indulgences.
Balance. I think that’s what it’s all about. Get a dose of terrible reality television with a side of cubism. Wear your comfy clothes out in public when you’re grocery shopping, but put on a little pretty when you head out to dinner. Be 26 and buy yourself a hula hoop.
And leave a little room for some Easter-themed chocolate after the vibrant, crunchy, paprika-spiced salad.
Warm Red Cabbage and Corn Salad
- 2 ears of corn, corn removed from the cob
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded very thin
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smokey paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pepitas
- a handful of chopped coriander
In a large pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over a medium high heat. Add corn kernels and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until slightly golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil over a medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in paprika and cayenne.
Add cabbage and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring for about 2 minutes until the cabbage is just beginning to soften.
Combine cabbage with corn and let cool for 5 minutes.
Top with feta, pepitas and coriander and serve.